File Extraction and Disk Usage
zCI is a small program, it just need less than 1 MB of harddisk space. Extract zci-*.zip to any directory.
- For MySQL, installing MySQL Control Center is suggested that enable administrator to manage database and execute SQL command on query window. Following directions assume MySQL Control Center is used.
- To create database and tables for MySQL, execute mysqlscript.sql on engine directory. It will automatically create a database named zci and necessary tables.
- For other database software, create the database schema manually then execute the "CREATE TABLE ..." statements on mysqlscript.sql without "type=InnoDB" phrase.
- Set/create a database user for zCI application also the host where the database will be accessed from. The host should be the IP address or DNS name of the zCI web server.
- Set priviledge of the user@host (step 4) to be able to "SELECT, DELETE, INSERT, UPDATE" on zci database created on step 2.
- Test database connectivity from the web server.
a. Client Software for Microsoft Windows
Clients using Microsoft Windows 95/98 or NT 4.0 do not have windows scripting and CIM schema by default. Please install MS Windows Scripting Host 5.6 and MS WMI Core 1.5. For simplicity, download both programs then put it on add-ons directory without changing their file names. URLs for download are:
- Windows Scripting Host: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
- WMI Core: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=18490
b. Client Software for Linux
Client software for Linux needs LSHW to provide device list and read-edid to provide monitor information. Sun JDK is needed for compilation to create Java-executable client software.
Web Server Setup
- Set proper path/virtual directory for zCI in web server configuration. If using IIS, do not forget to give Execute permission for Script only.
- Set the default file to "index.html".
- Set webserver permission for admin and supervisor subdirectory because it contains PHP scripts to do data editing. Access to them will need authentication using HTTP-Authentication. IIS webserver permission can be based on file system permission. For Apache, put proper .htaccess file on that subdirectories. If having difficulties in this step, we suggest renaming the admin and supervisor subdirectories for data security reason.
- Test the webserver by browsing to top zCI path (http://<your zCI path>). If the path is correct, welcome page will be displayed also the home display of management pages.
a. PHP Setup
- Install PHP and integrate it with your webserver software, such as Apache or Microsoft IIS.
Note: Apache 2.2.x may have problem with PHP, so it may be better to user Apache 2.0.x
- To make sure that the PHP works, open http://<your zcI web path>/phpinfo.php. The response should be a page like picture below. Please record the path to php.ini file.
- Scroll down above PHP Information page and look for activated DBX and MySQL extensions.
- If one or all of above extensions are not active, you should enable them in PHP.
- Open the php.ini as mentioned in the picture above. Find and remove the comment mark for lines containing extension=php_dbx* and extension=php_mysql*.
- In the php.ini, find parameter named extension_dir. The value is the location of PHP's plugin/extension files.
- Download PHP PECL package from PHP website http://www.php.net/downloads.php. Then extract the php_dbx* and php_mysql* files to the extension_dir.
- If you modify your PHP installation, restart the webserver software then redo step 1-3 to make sure that DBX and MySQL extension is working.
b. Database Connection Setup
- Edit zciconfig.php on zCI's root directory, edit the parameters of dbx_connect clause to match: the database server IP,database user and password.
return dbx_connect(DBX_MYSQL,"<DB server IP>","zci","<DB USER>","<PASSWORD>");
Example: return dbx_connect(DBX_MYSQL,"10.1.2.3","zci","myzcidbuser","myzcidbpassword");
- Open management index page (http://<your zCI path>/manage/index.html).
- To test database connectity, click "Registered Devices" on left menu of management pages, then click "Search " button on right display. If no error messages displayed, the database connection is successful.
- If encountering PHP MySQL client error, please upgrade PHP to the latest-stable daily snapshot version of PHP. Open http://www.php.net and click "Snapshot" on top menu.
- Disable display_errors in PHP by editing php.ini file. Give comment mark (';') for display_errors. It is likely that this step has to be done if using newer versions of PHP because they have tighter checks of variable existence. This issue will not affect zCI functionality.
Client Programs Setup
zCI provides client software for Microsoft Windows and Linux. Both resides on the engine directory and named takedata.js. Here are the steps to set it up:
a. Client for Microsoft Windows
- Open engine subdirectory.
- Open takedata.js for editing.
- You will see value-assigning statement for zcipath on the beginning of the file.
- Type the path of zCI's URL in the <zcipath> then save the JS file.
var zcipath="http://<your zCI path>/";
- For use in login script and you want autoclose feature, find the line containing: var hiddenflag=false;. Change it to var hiddenflag=true;.
This feature needs Microsoft Internet Explorer. Guidance to implement zCI software in Windows login script is available HERE.
- To be generic and can be implemented in any organization, zCI do not has facilities to determine physical location of device, such as department name and city of the office. It is suggested to include such information on the device name. For example, a computer that is located on Jakarta, Indonesia and being used by user Zamroni can be named ID-JKT-ZAMRONI1.
b. Client for Linux
- Install LSHW on the Linux computers. Make sure that lshw command can be executed from any path.
- Install read-edid on the Linux computers. Make sure that get-edid command can be executed from any path.
- Open engine subdirectory.
- Open file lshwclient.java with a text editor.
- Find a line: "String zcipath=...;". If your zCI server path is http://myserver/zci/, the value is String zcipath="/zci";
- Find a line: "String zciserver=...;". If your zCI server path is http://myserver/zci/, the value is String zciserver="myserver";
- Find a line: "Integer zciserverport=80;". Value 80 is common port number for HTTP service. If you use another port number, enter proper value.
- After saving the file, do compilation with Sun JDK: javac lshwclient.java . Java compilation may be done in any operating system. It is not compulsory to compile under Linux environment.
- The Java compilation will create lshwclient.class, which is the executable client software for Linux computers.
- Execution procedure: java lshwclient
Font and Colour Scheme
There are 2 CSS files in frontend subdirectory that you can edit to change display scheme of zCI Management Pages. The web pages contain of 3 frames, i.e. top frame, left frame and right frame. File content.css is used by right frame and leftmenu.css is used by left frame.