This instuction is for upgrade installation from version 2.2 or below.
File Extraction and Disk Usage
Extract zci-*.zip to the same directory of previous zCI installation.
- Use database engine that support subquery. For MySQL, users must use version 4.1.x or higher.
- If upgrading the database engine, please backup the data and program directory of the database. Also make second
backup by using backup utility of the directory. For MySQL, users can use mysqldump.
- After database engine upgrade, check and recreate, if necessary, a database user for zCI application also the host where the database will be accessed from.
The host should be the IP address or DNS name of the zCI web server.
- Check and set priviledge of the user@host (step 4) to be able to "SELECT, DELETE, INSERT, UPDATE" on zci database created on step 2.
- Test database connectivity from the web server.
- To upgrade database schema, execute step 8 of webserver setup.
Web Server Setup
- To ensure data security, entry access to management pages is hidden and removed from ./index.html to manage/index.html. Index.html
on parent directory now contain welcome page of previous zCI version.
- Edit zciconfig.php on root directory, edit the parameters of dbx_connect clause to match : the database server IP,database user and password.
return dbx_connect(DBX_MYSQL,"<DB server IP>","zci","<DB USER>","<PASSWORD>");
Example: return dbx_connect(DBX_MYSQL,"10.1.2.3","zci","myzcidbuser","myzcidbpassword");
- Set webserver permission for admin and supervisor subdirectory because it contains
PHP scripts to do data editing. Access to them will need authentication using HTTP-Authentication.
IIS webserver permission can be based on file system permission. For Apache, put proper .htaccess file on that
subdirectories. If having difficulties in this step, we suggest renaming the admin and supervisor subdirectories to prevent access that
can disturb data security.
- Test the webserver by browsing to top zCI path and manage subdirectory. If the path is correct, welcome page will be displayed also the home display of management pages.
- To test database connectity, click "Registered Devices" on left menu of management pages,
then click "Search " button on right display.
If no error messages displayed, the database connection is successful.
- If encountering PHP MySQL client error, please upgrade PHP to the latest-stable daily snapshot version of PHP.
Open http://www.php.net and click "Snapshot" on top menu.
- Open http://<zci path>/engine/mysql-upgrade.php on Internet browser then click "UPGRADE" button to migrate database schema to new format. Please ignore displayed PHP error messages.After this execution, remove "engine/mysql-upgrade.php or rename its extension.
Client Programs Setup
zCI provides client software for Microsoft Windows and Linux. Both resides on the engine directory and named takedata.js.
Here are the steps to set it up:
a. Client for Microsoft Windows
- Open engine subdirectory.
- Open takedata.js for editing.
- You will see value-assigning statement for zcipath on the beginning of the file.
- Type the path of zCI's URL in the <zcipath> then save the JS file.
var zcipath="http://<your zCI path>/";
- For use in login script and you want autoclose feature, find the line containing : var hiddenflag=false;. Change it to var hiddenflag=true;. This feature needs Microsoft Internet Explorer. Guidance to implement zCI software in Windows login script is available HERE.
- To be generic and can be implemented in any organization, zCI do not has facilities to determine physical location of device, such as department name and city of the office.
It is suggested to include such information on the device name.
For example, a computer that is located on Jakarta, Indonesia and being used by user Zamroni can be named ID-JKT-ZAMRONI1.
b. Client for Linux
- Install LSHW on the Linux computers. Make sure that lshw command can be executed from any path.
- Install read-edid on the Linux computers. Make sure that get-edid command can be executed from any path.
- Open engine subdirectory.
- Open file lshwclient.java with a text editor.
- Find a line: "String zcipath=...;". If your zCI server path is http://myserver/zci/, the value is String zcipath="/zci";
- Find a line: "String zciserver=...;". If your zCI server path is http://myserver/zci/, the value is String zciserver="myserver";
- Find a line: "Integer zciserverport=80;". Value 80 is common port number for HTTP service. If you use another port number, enter proper value.
- After saving the file, do compilation with Sun JDK: javac lshwclient.java . Java compilation may be done in any operating system. It is not compulsory to compile under Linux environment.
- The Java compilation will create lshwclient.class, which is the executable client software for Linux computers.
- Execution procedure: java lshwclient
Font and Colour Scheme
There are 2 CSS files in frontend subdirectory that you can edit to change display scheme of zCI Management Pages. The web pages contain of 3 frames, i.e. top frame, left frame and right frame. File content.css is used by right frame and leftmenu.css is used by left frame.